determine presence/absence of data graphic
Scott
2008-04-05 14:58:00 UTC
Is there a way to determine from the shapesheet whether a data graphic has
been applied to a shape?

Specifically, I'm trying to determine whether a color by value DG has been
applied. I know that color by value creates Uesr.visDGCBVFill and then
deletes it when you remove the DG. It would be logical to test for existence
of that cell, but there is no CELLEXISTS() function in the shapesheet. I
tried using FORUMULAEXISTS(User.visDGCBVFill) but as soon as I remove the DG,
this becomes FORMULAEXISTS(REF()).

I also tried a forumula David Parker posted a year ago in response to a
similar question:
=1+ABS(NOT(ISERR(INT(INDEX(0,"User.visDGCBFill")))))
but this always returns a value of 1.

Other suggestions?
JuneTheSecond
2008-04-06 06:09:00 UTC
Hi, Scott.

If the shape has DataGraphics,
shapesheet has User.visDGDisplayFormat cell.
--
JuneTheSecond

Now, visual calculation is more visual.
http://www.geocities.jp/visualcalculation/english/index.html
Scott
2008-04-07 16:46:00 UTC
Post by JuneTheSecond
If the shape has DataGraphics,
shapesheet has User.visDGDisplayFormat cell.
Even so the problem still remains: there is no cellexists() function in the
shapesheet. So how do I determine from the shapesheet whether a particular
cell exists?
JuneTheSecond
2008-04-07 23:49:01 UTC
I think there is noway in shapesheet.

David Parker
2008-04-08 21:19:54 UTC
Actually, this will do it (it should return 1 or 0):
=DEPENDSON(NOW())+NOT(ISERR(INT(INDEX(0,"User.visDGDisplayFormat"))))

I tried to do it without DEPENDSON()NOW()) at first, but adding/removing did
not force re-evaluation
Post by JuneTheSecond
I think there is noway in shapesheet.
--
JuneTheSecond
Now, visual calculation is more visual.
http://www.geocities.jp/visualcalculation/english/index.html
--
David Parker
Microsoft MVP (Visio)
http://bvisual.spaces.live.com
http://www.visualizinginformation.com
JuneTheSecond
2008-04-08 23:39:00 UTC
Excelent! David, you really are!

David Parker
2008-04-09 06:30:35 UTC
However, I do not recommend using NOW() too often becaue it continuously
fires. It would be better to point DEPENDSON() at some cell whose value you
know is likely to change.