Custom properties not inherited from master shape
mikecen
2007-05-24 03:53:01 UTC
Hello

I am relatively new to building custom stencils and solutions in Visio. I am
using Visio 2003.

I have a problem where I have created a custom stencil with master shapes
and have created custom properties for them. When I open the vss stencil file
directly, and open a master, I am able to see the custom properties and see
them in the shapesheet. However, when I open the stencil to use in a drawing,
and drop an instance of the master on the drawing, I cannot see the custom
properties. I get an error that "No Custom Properties Exist", and there are
no properties listed in the shapesheet view.

Can someone explain what step I haven't taken to force the instances to
alway inherit the custom properties from the masters?

Thanks
Michel LAPLANE
2007-05-24 05:52:16 UTC
Very strange.

If custom properties are visible in your vss and that you use the same must
vss file for you drawing the custom properties must be in your shape.

Are your shape being created with group? If yes verify that the custom
properties are holded by the group and not by the subshape of the group. It
can be the explanation of what is happening. If you have created your custom
property whith a subshape selected, you must select the sub shape each time
you want to access the custom properties (first click to the group, second
click the sub shape, three open the shapesheet).

Hope it can help
Thanks
David Parker
2007-05-24 07:40:01 UTC
I agree with Michel.
Check your Master does not have more than one Shape in it.
If it does, then Visio will automatically create a group shape when you drop
the master on to a drawing page.
Also, try this in a new drawing because global masters get copied into the
drawing stencil when you first use them.
Thanks
mikecen
2007-05-30 23:43:02 UTC
The master shape is comprised of multiple drawing objects like squares and
circles. Does that constitute a group shape?

I guess it is news to me that there is such thing as a "group shape". Where
do I verify that the properties are held by the group shape, or where do I
change it to something other than a group shape?

Thanks for the help.
Thanks
mikecen
2007-05-30 23:52:01 UTC
Okay
I read the Help and realized that the shape is indeed a group.

So now I just have to figure out how to deal with the subshape.....

I would like to be able to enter custom properties without going through
multiple steps. Is there a way to create complex shapes that are not group
shapes?
Thanks
Paul Herber
2007-05-31 00:17:19 UTC
On Wed, 30 May 2007 16:52:01 -0700, mikecen
Post by mikecen
Is there a way to create complex shapes that are not group
shapes?
Complex shapes can be created by entering values and formulae into the
cells of the Geometry section of the shapesheet, additional geometry
sections can also be added and each geometry section may reference
other geometry sections.
Creating shapes in this manner does have advantages and disadvantages.
Line colour, styles, fill colour etc apply to all the geometry
sections so you can't have one black solid line and another green
dotted line. Look in the help files and various online guides about
how to create geometry sections.
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. http://www.sandrila.co.uk/
Michel LAPLANE
2007-06-01 06:06:37 UTC
You can also have the alternative way i am always using.

Don't be afraid of using group unless you are interested in performance as
Paul explain.

You have just to add your custom properties to the group and fix the
behavior of the group to never select subshape.
Here is the way you can do that.

1. create your shapes (those that must be in you group)
2. select them
3. group them (Shape=>Group=>Group)
4. Change the group behavior to group only ("Format=>Behavior=>Group
behavior=>Selection=>Group only")
5. Add your custom properties (Shape Data if you use Visio 2007)
6. Drag the group in your stencil.
7. Test it

All the best