Problem with PageNumber() function
Florent, See-Visio PM
2008-09-04 10:16:04 UTC
If you create a UserDefined Cell on a pagesheet and you put the formula
=PageNumber() in it,
If you create three pages, and you start to reorder it, you can see that the
PageNumber() function doesn't returns the right value.
Is there a workaround?
--
Florent Mayoute,
See-Visio Product Manager
Paul Herber
2008-09-04 11:04:50 UTC
On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 03:16:04 -0700, Florent, See-Visio PM
Post by Florent, See-Visio PM
If you create a UserDefined Cell on a pagesheet and you put the formula
=PageNumber() in it,
If you create three pages, and you start to reorder it, you can see that the
PageNumber() function doesn't returns the right value.
Is there a workaround?
Works fine here.
Are you doing the re-order manually via the UI or in vba or something?
--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.
Visio Utilities http://www.visio-utilities.sandrila.co.uk/
Florent, See-Visio PM
2008-09-10 09:21:01 UTC
Actually, it's not exactly what I've done, sorry.

I give you a step by step description of the bug

- I open a new drawing
- on the first page I create a shape ( a square),
- Opening the shapesheet, I create a UserDefined cell on this shape User.Row_1
- I double click on the shape to edit its text,
- Editing the text , I choose Insert/Fields... and I choose UserDefinied cell
- I choose User.Row_1. The page number appears on the text of my shape
- I create two new pages
- I copy my shape on those two new pages.

I now have a square on each page (page 1, page 2, page 3) with the text (1,
2 ,3)

- I drag the page 3 for making it the first page
- I have the following values (page 3, page 1, page 2) with the texts (3, 2,
3)

so it seems that the PageNumber function of 'Page 3' hasn't been refreshed
on my shape.

If I delete and rewrite the PageNumber() formula on my cell the values are
corrects (page 3, page 1, page 2) with the texts (1, 2, 3)

I work with Visio 2007 SP1.
Paul Herber
2008-09-10 09:43:50 UTC
On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 02:21:01 -0700, Florent, See-Visio PM
Post by Florent, See-Visio PM
Actually, it's not exactly what I've done, sorry.
I give you a step by step description of the bug
- I open a new drawing
- on the first page I create a shape ( a square),
- Opening the shapesheet, I create a UserDefined cell on this shape User.Row_1
and set the cell formula to =PAGENUMBER()
Post by Florent, See-Visio PM
- I double click on the shape to edit its text,
- Editing the text , I choose Insert/Fields... and I choose UserDefinied cell
- I choose User.Row_1. The page number appears on the text of my shape
- I create two new pages
- I copy my shape on those two new pages.
I now have a square on each page (page 1, page 2, page 3) with the text (1,
2 ,3)
- I drag the page 3 for making it the first page
- I have the following values (page 3, page 1, page 2) with the texts (3, 2,
3)
so it seems that the PageNumber function of 'Page 3' hasn't been refreshed
on my shape.
If I delete and rewrite the PageNumber() formula on my cell the values are
corrects (page 3, page 1, page 2) with the texts (1, 2, 3)
I work with Visio 2007 SP1.
So it doesn't. If that shape (on page-3) is now copied again within
the same page then the shape shows "1".
If page-3 is now moved to position 2 then both update to show "2".
However, whatever appears on the first page never gets updated.
It appears to be the refresh on the first page that never happens.

Works fine in Visio 2003.
--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.
Electronics for Visio http://www.electronics.sandrila.co.uk/
k***@gmail.com
2012-08-22 23:17:55 UTC
Visio 2010 and Win 7

Make new Drawing
Make 4 pages
Create a shape on Page-1 (a square)
Open shapesheet
Create a UserDefined cell on this shape User.Row_1
Set the cell formula to =PAGENUMBER()
Now choose to show values not formulas in shapesheet
User.Row_1 shows "1" as expected
Drag Page-1 beetween Page-2 and Page-3, the value now shows "2" as expected
Now drag Page-1 back to the first posistion, the value still shows "2"....

The value is not updatet when pagenumbers are decenting, only acenting..

I offcourse use the Pagenumber() function in a much more complex formula and nned it to work...

What to do ?..

AlEdlund
2008-09-04 11:28:50 UTC
It's interesting, in any case I created a text box on the page with a
textfield using the page info!page number and it does update correctly. So
the pagenumber() function appears to working correctly, it's just that the
pagesheet isn't getting any events that force it to update the cells.
al