A Simple Question - How do I get the absolute PinX
Lucky Bob
2007-09-10 15:38:03 UTC
(Visio 2007)
How do I get the absolute (Relative to the page) PinX of a shape within a
group?
I have a shape in a stencil I want to group with other objects on a variety
of pages. I can then run a report based on the shape data and location of the
shapes I have added.

Alternatively how do I add formulas via shape data sets this would avoid me
adding and grouping the shape? If I add data as strings it just treats the
formula as a string, if I try and add them as Number it complains the formula
isn't a number.

FYI the shape has a Shape data propety "Rack" with a value "=INT((PinX-475.3
mm)/750.6 mm)+1"
Paul Herber
2007-09-11 09:33:30 UTC
On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 08:38:03 -0700, Lucky Bob <Lucky
Post by Lucky Bob
(Visio 2007)
How do I get the absolute (Relative to the page) PinX of a shape within a
group?
I have a shape in a stencil I want to group with other objects on a variety
of pages. I can then run a report based on the shape data and location of the
shapes I have added.
Alternatively how do I add formulas via shape data sets this would avoid me
adding and grouping the shape? If I add data as strings it just treats the
formula as a string, if I try and add them as Number it complains the formula
isn't a number.
FYI the shape has a Shape data propety "Rack" with a value "=INT((PinX-475.3
mm)/750.6 mm)+1"
The coordinates of shapes within groups are referenced to their
containing shape. So, the subshape's values have to be added to the
values for the containing shape.
But, there is an easier way.
Look up the XYtoPage method.

P.S. note that this method only accepts internal units (inches) for
its input values so if you are working in mm then divide by 25.4
--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.
Electronics for Visio http://www.electronics.sandrila.co.uk/
Lucky Bob
2007-09-11 09:52:03 UTC
Thanks Paul,

I got this working with

=LOCTOLOC(PNT(LocPinX,LocPinY),Width,ThePage!PageWidth)

I'm not sure if this is the neatest solution but it works for me.